So last week was a pretty hard one, for reasons stated in other posts. Walter was such a good boy! There was one moment specifically where I was in a lot of pain and needed a drink. So I thought, "what the heck, just try to see if Walter can help." So I hollered to the other room, "Walter, mommy needs your help, can you come help me?" There was a pause as he put his toy car down and then he responded, "okay mommy, I'm coming." I was so shocked at that response, up until that point Walter had been a boy of very few words and they were normally, "no", "mine", "baba" (even though we worked constantly on other words and sentences). I'll admit my heart was filled with so much gratitude that all of my hard work to teach him things was finally coming to fruition. I heard his little feet running into the room I was in. Then I asked him to go in another room and get me my water bottle. And again I was shocked when he said okay and ran and opened the fridge and brought it back to me.
Walter is such a sweet boy! He has his good days and his bad days but at the end of every day, after "tickling" his teeth (brushing his teeth) and saying prayers, he runs to his mommy and daddy and gives big hugs and kisses (and he will say "huuuuugs....Kiss, kiss?") No matter how tough of a day it has been he will always be so happy and loving.
Another thing we have worked on is getting him to tap us on the shoulder and say "excuse me" when he needs our attention. At first I thought it would not work but now everyday he will come up to me multiple times tap me on my shoulder and say "cuse me".....I know that I may be the only one who actually understands much of what he says but it makes me so proud to see how much he is trying to communicate...it's those small things that soften my heart and fill it with an amazing amount of love that I would not have imagined possible. It is amazing to feel that multiple times in a day. I am so grateful that I have been blessed with this sweet spirit in our home.
I was inspired to write this post because this morning he asked for a drink of milk and I gave it to him but he kept saying "thank you" thank you thank you.....(sometimes he just repeats the same thing over and over so I thought it was one of those things) but then he tapped my shoulder and with a big sweet grin on his face he said "cuse me, mommy, thank you!" I looked at his loving countenance and said "you're welcome" and it just made his grin even bigger. If you ever wondered the effect that your attention and words can have on another person this is just one huge example of why we need to give constant nourishment of loving words and actions. Walter was a huge lifesaver when I was physically in so much pain. He is growing up so quickly I miss having my baby boy but at the same time I am loving this independent spirit who just wants to be happy and make others around him happy. Sometimes he'll run around the house saying "appy, appy, appy" now whether he is trying to actually state his feelings or if he is just trying to sing happy birthday, i'm not sure, but it makes me happy to see such small things make this boy happy. I don't have to spend a lot of money to get his love he just wants my attention and love.





3 comments:
What a great post, Julie. I loved the story that ended with "cuse me, mommy, thank you!" :) He is a very sweet boy.
Julie you are a great writer first of all, second I hope you are doing better. Your family is a wonderful example to me. I miss you!
Where's Carleton?
Post a Comment